Thursday, November 19, 2015

Now Taking Pre-Orders on Panel Raisers

So, I've been toying with different versions of panel raisers since this time about two years ago. I have had a lot of questions on the subject. When am I finally going to offer them for sale? Well the bench plane version has hit some road blocks. Getting the proper size stock is not easy in any reasonable quantity. As many of you know, I dry my own stock for that reason. I do have some air drying right now but it will be quite some time before it is ready. Then the irons that I specify for the design is another issue altogether.


Recently I decided to take another look at the panel raiser in a side escapement format and have developed a plane that I am quite happy with. It does all the things I want it to. And, I have enough stock on hand to produce a decent size run of this plane with irons that are available from Lie-Nielsen. I can finally offer a panel raiser!

This plane is, as I said, a side escapement plane like other moulding planes. It has a skewed iron for making cross grain cuts that are smooth. It is bedded at 50˚ for hardwoods. It will make a nice clean fillet in hardwoods without a nicker.


The width of the profile is 1-1/4" with a depth of cut of 5/16". This is sized for furniture panels. With that in mind, if you typically use a groove in your panel frame of 1/4" then your panel would be anywhere from 9/16" thick and up. I would typically raise the panel on the front and then flip it to the back and use the same plane to cut down only as far as needed to cut the tongue thickness to match the frame groove. You can, of course, decrease your tongue thickness to say 3/16" and the panel could be 1/2" thick. This size gives you some flexibility rather than being sized for only 3/4" thick panels.

Here is a video of it in action. I'm getting a bit fancier with my editing. Now you don't have to watch all the boring parts and both the cross grain cuts and the long grain cuts are all in one video. 




If you would like to place a preorder then follow this link to my shop. I am limiting the production run so if the quantity says 0 then you can shoot me an email to get on the waiting list for the next round. I will be offering alternate profiles in the future. 

7 comments:

  1. Caleb,

    So it sounds like you aren't lifting the plane on your return stroke. Is that accurate? Or are you just lifting one end? Don't want to open up some huge discussion on the issue, but I figure you would be a good person to ask.

    Also, nice shirt.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan,

      It is best practice to lift the plane on the return stroke. The truth is though on moulding planes I find it quiet difficult to keep "in the cut" like I want to if I focus on doing that. I of course release pressure but I don't lift in practice. Good or bad it works for me and I don't know how much it costs me. I just keep the iron as sharp as possible while I am working and keep moving on. Hope that gives you a real world view from my end of things.

      Delete
    2. It does, and is exactly what I was looking for - real world application. Appreciate the information, Caleb.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never found it to be detriment in lifting the plane on returning strokes but rather beneficial as I am of the opinion that it actually slightly hones the blade as its metal rubbing on wood. I could be wrong that's why it's only my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Download over 16,000 WOODWORKING Plans at here
    https://cnnwood.weebly.com/
    Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can use WoodPrix plans. The best e-books and very detailed instructions. You can learn much from them and make it yourself!


    https://www.woodprix.com

    ReplyDelete